Monday, October 1, 2012

Christina Aguilera Says She Was Forced to Lose Weight Ten Years Ago



(Getty and Bauer Griffin)She may be sporting dip-dyed Fraggle Rock hair extensions once more, but Christina Aguilera looks a lot different than she did ten years ago. The singer is no longer the "toothpick thin" twentysomething who famously sported a pair of panty-baring chaps in her "Dirrty" music video — something for which Aguilera, 31, appears to be thankful.

"During the promotion of my album Stripped [in 2002]. I got tired of being a skinny, white girl. I am Ecuadorian but people felt so safe passing me off as a skinny, blue-eyed white girl," Aguilera told Billboard. "Let me tell you, that wasn't an easy pill for them to swallow. I had gained about 15 pounds during promotion and during my Stripped tour. They called this serious emergency meeting about how there was a lot of backlash about my weight. Basically, they told me I would affect a lot of people if I gained weight — the production, musical directors.

"[They said] people I toured with would also miss out if I gained weight because I would sell no records or tickets for my shows. I was young, so I lost the weight quickly and was toothpick thin during Back to Basics promos and touring," Aguilera added.

Now, Aguilera says, she's not allowing her body to become a topic of discussion in the boardroom. "I told them during this Lotus recording, 'You are working with a fat girl. Know it and get over it.' They need a reminder sometimes that I don't belong to them. It's my body. My body can't put anyone in jeopardy of not making money anymore – my body is just not on the table that way anymore."

Christina's story comes just a few weeks after reports that her pop colleague Lady Gaga had been ordered to lose weight by her record company (a spokesperson for Universal Music Group called the rumors "nonsense"). 

Aguilera also addressed her decision to leave The Voice, insisting that she may return in the future: "I'll probably be back. I just need to do my thing for a minute, then I can come back and be that much better of a coach. I just need a second to get back to me."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © . Entertainment News - Posts · Comments
Theme Template by Entertainment News · Powered by Blogger